So our new casts are (were) a nice shiny white that lasted about 5 minutes. So I took Alex to Syd's class and let them sign away! They had a great time and Alex is so easy going that he just sat there and tried to "beep" everyone's noses. It's amazing how easy going and mellow he is.
Getting the casts on however is a different story. After fighting with the casts for at least 30 minutes in the tub, we go to get the new ones on. So he gets about 1 1/2 hours of free legs. He always starts to whimper when we get to the casting room because he knows what's going to happen. I tried holding him in my lap while they cast him but he fights sooo much I can hardly hold onto him. This week we lay him on the bed and he still fought but it was easier for the therapists to hold his legs still.
In 2-3 weeks they're going to evaluate his feet to see if he'll need the minor surgery to cut his tendons, he most likely will need to have this done. Then he'll be in casts for 3 more weeks, so we're looking at being cast free in 5-6 weeks and then into braces. He's such a little trooper and is doing really well with standing and starting to try to walk.
Reagan, Alex and Syd look great! Alex looks like he has perked up, not that he ever looked sick, but he just looks better somehow! It must be all that great love he has been getting! I love all the different colors of casts, but especially how Syd's classmate's signed the latest one. I hope he doesn't need the surgery, but only if it will really help him!
ReplyDeleteThe girls still talk about you guys and Syd a lot. We are working on when we can come out to Colorado this summer and everytime it is mentioned they say "And we can go see Syd"?!?! I hope you have a great week!
Love,
Robyn
Reagan,
ReplyDeleteHi there! Mason had the same issues when he was being casted. He hated the process and would scream and thrash around. I could barely hold him and a couple times he broke the casting before we had even left the office. A couple tricks that we found helpful were sugar-free suckers that he could only have during castings and Rescue Remedy. You can buy it at Whole Foods. It is all natural and really calms Mason down. I still use it when we are in situations that cause him anxiety. Good luck with the rest of the castings. Also, Mason had the tendon release surgery and it is really easy. The hardest part was putting him under anesthesia. Let me know if you have any questions!
Jennifer