Saturday, February 12, 2011

So Tired...

I will never again brag about how well my kids sleep!  My little man has always been an early riser, 6ish.  But he'd lay in his crib and just chat with himself quietly.  Now he wakes up at midnight or 3, mostly 5 and it's not a quiet chatting anymore.  It's a lot of moaning with screaming sprinkled in.

Maaamaaa
Daadaaaaaa
Booooogerrrrs
Blaaaaaaanket
Maaaamaaaaaa, uuuuuupeeeee

We usually break down and check on him when the moaning about boogers start.  So we lay him back down and the screaming starts, and he's not a quiet child.  If he's being held, he's a happy camper and he falls back asleep.  Lay him down and it starts all over, this happens at nap time too.  So not only is he not sleeping, neither are James and I. 

About 10 months after we came home with Syd, she did the same thing but only at bed time.  We tried letting her scream it out and finally figured out that if we're in the room with her, she would calm down.  So we started out sitting next to her on the floor so she could see us through the slats.  We'd think she was asleep and leave, 2 seconds later the screaming would start again.  We took turns laying on the floor next to the crib for however long it took for her to fall asleep and crawl out of the room trying to avoid all the squeaks in the floor.  You never know how squeaky the floor is until you really don't want it to squeak!  After 2 months of this, she finally started falling asleep on her own again and to this day, sleeps like a rock through all the moaning and screaming.

So maybe it's a turning 2 thing, the not sleeping, but this time I have an air mattress next to Alex's crib for the naps I so need and so we have somewhere relatively comfy to lay on while he goes through this phase.  And it is a phase--I refuse to believe that this will turn into a long term sleep issue :-)

1 comment:

  1. I know how hard this is on you. I slept many nights on the floor in my daughter's room. With me, I noticed that my body creaks and pops just as much as the floor. I hope this is a phase for him. Our youngest daughter just turned two. Her bed is still in our room. I am scared to put her in her own room. She sleeps so well.

    ReplyDelete