"I wonder if I have any annoying "real" brothers or sisters?"
"I bet my "real" mom is small just like me."
She wonders what her "real" family would look like in China and we talk about how her birth mother and father probably wouldn't be tall like me or daddy, how they would have dark hair and beautiful eyes. She says that she would like to meet them some day if she could but how she would be very nervous. She would tell them all about hockey and how much she likes school. She would share all of the medals she's won.
One of her friends asked if she and Alex were "real" brother and sister and Syd told him no, we're not from the same tummy. So we talk about what makes a "real" family, people that love each other and that are there for each other are what makes a "real" family. I gently change the terminology to "biological brother" or "biological mother". I ask if she knows what biological means and I get that fantastic eye roll that she is so good at. "Yes mom, it means that the kids would be from the same tummy."
Does it hurt my feeling that she doesn't refer to me as her "real" mom? Not really, I know what she means, she just doesn't quite know how to verbalize it. She knows who her "real" mom, dad and brother are and lets face it, biological mother is quite a mouth full.
| First day of 3rd grade. |
...and you have to admit, I do have the cutest "real" kids around!
No comments:
Post a Comment