Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Perfect timing...

Syd came home last week excited that her class is going to be writing to a pen pal.  I vaguely remember writing to a pen pal, my memory of it is one of fun and excitement as I waited for that next letter in the mail!

I ask Syd who her pen pal is and where do they live?  "It's C from Mrs W's class."  

Huh?  
My definition of a pen pal is not a kid in the other 3rd grade class that Syd's known for a few years.  

By chance, I came across this wonderful website, China's Children International.  It's run by two Chinese adoptee high schoolers and all content is specifically for adoptees.  There's a lot of great info on the website: a kids page teaching Chinese words and songs, cultural information, a blog, resources for Chinese language and my favorite--a survey to hook your child up with a pen pal.

A couple of days after we filled out the survey, Syd got an e-mail (through my account) from her new pen pal!  Syd is soooo excited to be making a new friend!  She comes home from school asking if she got any new messages from M and writes back to her immediately.  She was kind of bummed that this was all being done via e-mail, so I told her that once they know each other better they can exchange addresses and send actual letters or postcards to each other.

What a great way to meet someone new that has a similar life story.  M lives in a different state, in a different part of the country and Syd is really excited to learn about where she lives.  I'm excited for her and I can't wait to watch this friendship develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment