...are doing great!
The casts came off last Wednesday and he's still walking around like a little old man! It's hard getting used to all that extra weight being gone I guess.
The surgery was successful! Alex's heels dropped down where they need to be and he even has tiny little arches now :-)
His feet look curled in in this picture, but when he's relaxed, that's just they way they go. Normally they are nice and straight like they are in the first picture.
So the goal now is to keep everything where it is and re-teach the muscles in his legs to work properly. Stretching and exercises to do several times a day, Ponseti bar at nap and bedtime, AFO's the rest of the time for a few months-maybe longer depending how he does. It would be ideal to leave him in the brace all the time but he's almost 3 and never stops moving. Staying in the brace all the time would be too difficult, plus he wouldn't be able to play outside.
We're also going to try electrical stimulation on his leg muscles to hopefully get them working the correct way. I've never heard of using e-stim for clubfoot treatment, but I'm willing to give it a try.
We're hoping that being more aggressive with PT will prevent another relapse. I think 20 sets of casts and 2 tenotomies is quite enough!
No comments:
Post a Comment