We saw Alex's dr yesterday for a check up on his feet.
After he fell off of the x-ray table, banged up his head and back and got a new stuffed animal he named Bug Bug, the dr told us that Alex has developed rocker bottom feet. What that means is when he walks, instead of walking heel to toe like a "normal" foot would, he is walking with all the pressure on the arch of his foot. His x-rays show that his left heel has still not dropped where it needs to be and this is what is causing all of the pressure to be on the arch. This eventually will lead to a lot of foot pain for him which is something we do not want to happen-obviously.
So the dr is recommending a surgery called Strayer/Valpius Lengthening which I have found is only used for treatment of flat feet and rocker bottom feet, not club foot. The dr would cut into the small muscle behind his 2 larger calf muscles and cut a chevron type pattern in the fascia (sheath around that muscle). The 2 larger muscles and smaller muscle are what forms the achilles tendon so by getting that smaller muscle to stretch out, the heel bone should drop to the proper position leading to walking heel to toe again.
Ok. In theory it sounds great and besides him having to be in casts for 6 weeks after the surgery (they would at least be short walking casts this time) I cannot find anywhere that this is a treatment for club foot. So is fixing this problem going to ultimately fix his club foot? I don't know. So I have e mails in to the top 2 club foot drs in the country to get their opinion on this procedure. It's not that I don't trust our dr, I do. But this is my kids feet here and I want every bit of information and a second and third opinion before putting him through more pain and immobility and physical therapy.
So if any of you club foot families out there follow our story and have any knowledge at all about this surgery, please drop me a comment. I need all the information I can get :-)
| Alex and MaaMaa. |
No comments:
Post a Comment